This week of class focused on learning to solve problems using
recursive functions. That is to say, a function that calls itself under
specific circumstances. Deciding when to use a recursive function, as
well as how to write it, was pretty tricky at first, especially since it
was a very minor part of my high school course, but I was able to get a
good grasp on how to work with them. In a recursive function, you need
a general case, and at least one base case. Recursive functions
necessarily take the form of conditional statements, since if there was
no condition for the recursive call, the function would repeat itself
indefinitely. The base cases serve as the stopping points for the
function, and returning a value instead of repeating the recursion. The
first assignment was talked about, with it being noted that recursion
would be necessary in writing the program, so it was good that I had the
chance to practice recursion to a level I was comfortable with before I
started.
I didn't have any real difficulties with
the work this week. The lab was pretty simple for me and my partner,
and the exercise on raising exceptions was straightforward. There was
one thing that was in the lecture that would have been useful in my code
for Assignment 1: The fact that a set of tuples is a valid argument
for min. I ended up using a different approach to the problem that may
not have been ideal, but I'll just have to remember that information for
the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment